Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Afghan Pamir Re-visited


These past January and February I was in Afghanistan for my second winter expedition (the last one was in 2008, on an assignment for Geo magazine with Ted Callahan ).
This year, it took 16 yaks and 23 days to trek up and down the Afghan Pamir mountains  - and reach the end of the Wakhan Corridor and the China border. Abdul Rashid Khan (whom I first met in 2005), the last leader of the Afghan Kyrgyz, passed away last December 2009, quietly in his yurt. We visited a community adrift, struggling in selecting a new Khan.

Below is a sneak preview, the full story is up on my website, under Stories > The Last Khan  - presentation text will be up there soon....


















9 comments:

Flag Gazer said...

Your pictures are remarkable.
I am especially fond of the goat pictures -- the origins of the cashmere goat are in those pictures!

Kanani said...

(Flag Gazer raises goats and spins the wool for yarn. She should be the first customer for any photos with goats! But I like them too!).

Matthieu Paley said...

Hi - yes, white goat shots is always a pleasing sight... cheers, Matthieu

Meliha said...

Wow. What amazing pictures. Seeing them brought only one thought to mind: the world is such a wonderful, amazing, and diverse place.

Meliha

Mary Jane said...

Fabulous photography and story telling! I love your work and your blog.

Prasad said...

Absolutely stunning work. Loved the video as well. Thanks for sharing.

Social Compliance said...

Really fantastic pictures...just reminded me the sight of my child hood at wakhan

gilemon said...

La mini-grotte en lumière obscure est trucdemaladesque.
Je veux la meme mais portable!

Mumkin?

k haas said...

Awesome Work!